The 11 Weirdest States Are…
Business Insider has taken a look at recent U.S. census data to determine which states deviate the most from national norms . Hence, the 11 states they deemed the weirdest (and why) are:
11. California. Californians were more than twice as likely to have been born abroad than Americans overall.
10. South Dakota. South Dakotans have the shortest work commutes in the country.
9. Maine. Maine occupants are a good deal older and whiter than the rest of the country. And speaking of occupancies, Maine’s vacancy rate is also much higher than the national norm.
8. Vermont. Also old and white, Vermont had the highest percentage of residents who had health insurance before Obamacare.
7. Montana. Montanans are a good deal likelier to be married than the rest of America. The state also has a far higher per capita share of veterans.
6. Mississippi. Has the highest percentage of African-Americans of any state, as well as the highest poverty rate.
5. North Dakota. Due largely to the state’s oil boom, it has the lowest unemployment rate in the country
4. Utah. Has the highest birth rate in America, which has a lot to do with why it also boasts the youngest median age.
3. West Virginia. Basically the worst state to live in, by a multitude of measures.
2. Hawaii. Has both the most diverse ethnic population and the highest housing prices.
1. Alaska. Has high rates of government employment, low rates of women, high rates of Native Americans, and a high median income.